Monday, August 13, 2012

Pioneer Trek

 August 9-11 I drove down to California to go on a three day Pioneer Trek with my mom, step-dad, and Nephew Brenden. This is us all clean and showered before the trek. That didn't last long.

 We ate lunch and then a mob of people came through with Joseph Smith on that wooden thing came through. They ripped off his shirt and then tarred and feathered him. It was loud with guns going off. Then they read the extermination order from Governor Boggs and we were foced to leave rather quickly.
 After about six miles of going up and down with our handcarts we came to a pond thing where we had to cross our handcarts on a ferry. It was on a rope pully. Really cool. We then hiked another mile to camp. People were exhausted, lots of people had given up, but Brenden and I stayed pushing the cart until the end.
 My mom and I waiting for our turn to cross on the ferry.
  Brenden giving his Blue steele look.

 Brenden was awesome pulling the cart. He never gave up and pulling was the hardest job.
 Me pushing in the back with my pioneer dress, bonnet, and apron that I made myself. The carts were over 500 pounds.
 Sweet water Crossing: Day 2. A river to cross. The boys had to carry all the girls across.
 Me hiking up my skirt so it wouldn't get wet going across the river. I still got wet, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been.
 Going down hill towards the river. It was 108 degrees this day.
 My hand cart company with Rigdon and Brenden in front and Zion, Caroline, Maggie, and I in back.
 Going in.
 That is Bill next to his hand cart.



 Day 3: The Mormon Battalion came and took our men. There is Brenden going off to war.
 The Widow Maker/Testimony Hill. 2 miles of 70% incline. The first half mile the girls had to do on their own. I did it 2.5 times because we would go back and help with other hand carts.
 Still smiling. It was really hard, but really fun.

 Pulling and pushing the carts took a lot of teamwork.
 At the end of Day 3 Brenden and I all dirty and gross. We had lunch, read letters from our parents, and had testimony meeting. My mom even wrote me a letter. It was awesome.
Bill and mom made it. Bill grew his beard out for the trek. It was so fun and such a great experience to get a taste of what the pioneers had to endure. If you ever get the chance, Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment